Interim Dean, College of Arts & Sciences — The University of Kentucky (2020-present)
- Appointed to manage the college through transition to the next dean.
- 19 Departments, 29 Majors, and 37 Minors.
- 440 Faculty, 980 graduate students and post-doctoral scholars, 5,800 undergraduate students.
- A&S is central to undergraduate and graduate education at UK, teaching 85% of general education credit hours and almost half of all undergraduate credit hours, and producing the most doctoral degrees at UK.
The TW Lewis Dean, Lewis Honors College — The University of Kentucky (2017-present; currently assigned to Arts & Sciences)
- Build and develop a brand new college upon the foundation of the University Honors Program.
- Recruit and hire a faculty and staff of 32 full-time employees including 12 Lewis Lecturers, 5 academic advisors, and 5 personal counselors.
- Integrate the Honors College curriculum into the curriculum of the university and other academic colleges.
- Develop strong communications and recruitment programs to increase awareness of the Lewis Honors College and yield a diverse and academically talented student body.
- Lead a capital campaign with a goal of $50 million.
Dean, Schreyer Honors College — Penn State University (2006-16)
- Supervised a staff of 27 full-time employees including admissions, academic affairs, student affairs, information technology, and development operations.
- Managed an operating budget of $2.2 million and oversaw the awarding of nearly $6.3 million in scholarships and grants annually.
- Led a capital campaign that resulted in nearly $80 million for enhancing honors education at Penn State.
- Transformed strategic communication and admissions resulting in increased brand awareness, a tripling of applications, and an increase in selectivity and yield (from an offer rate of 52% to 18%). The Schreyer Honors College has been ranked as a model and one of the premier honors colleges in the nation.
- Developed and implemented the Presidential Leadership Academy, a unique three-year program focused upon developing critical thinking and problem solving skills.
- Made accessibility and engagement with students a priority through programs such as “Donuts with the Dean” and a three-day orientation program.
Director of the Honors Program — Tulane University (2004-06)
Associate Director of the Honors Program — Tulane University (2003-04)
Director of Jewish Studies — Tulane University (1998-2003)
Associate Director of Jewish Studies — Tulane University (1997-98)
Honors Community Service
In 2013 I co-founded the “Honors Education at Research Universities” (HERU) bi-annual international conference to “share best practices and build collaborations that will strengthen the case, and the place, for honors education at research universities.”
I am a founding member (2015-present) of the Lewis Honors College Advisory Board, University of Kentucky.
- Member, review of the Miami University (OH) Honors Program — 2007
- Chair, review of the Macaulay Honors College, CUNY — 2008
- Member, review of the Purdue University Honors Program — 2009
- Chair, review of the Hunter College CUNY Honors Program — 2012
- Chair, review of the University of Minnesota Honors Program — 2013
- Chair, review of the IUPUI Honors Program — 2015
- Chair, review of the University of Maryland Honors College — 2015
- Chair, review of the Tulane Honors Program – 2017
- Member, editorial board, peer-reviewed journal Honors in Higher Education — 2017-present
- Board of Trustees, University of the South (“Sewanee”) — 2003-05
- Member, Council of Academic Deans — 2006-16
- Member, Academic Leadership Council – 2006-16
- Member, Faculty Senate Committee for Undergraduate Education —2006-16
- Member, Freeh Implementation Committee — 2013-14
- Member, Commission for Adult Learners — 2015-16
- Member, Faculty Rights and Responsibility Committee — 2007-09, 2015-16
- Member, University Ethics Committee — 2014-16
- Member, Advisory Committee for Continued Excellence — 2012-16
- Member, selection committee for finalists, University Fellowship Office — 2006-16
- Member, University Brand Steering Committee — 2013
- Member, University Ethics Committee — 2014-16
- Member, University Strategic Planning “Transforming Education and Access” Task Force — 2014-2015
- Member, University Campaign Case Statement Committee — 2015-16
- Faculty Senator by Presidential Appointment — 2011-16
- Chair of search, assistant vice president and associate dean for Undergraduate Education — 2007
- Chair of search, dean, College of Information Sciences and Technology — 2009
- Chair, Penn State Forum, a university-wide monthly speakers series — 2011-12
- Chair, Penn State United Way Campaign — 2011-12
- Chair, Faculty Implementation Committee for Penn State’s Global Engagement Network partnership with Freiburg University, Germany — 2011-15